Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sneaky Jealousy Spiral

I've put off writing this post for a while because, well it's a little embarrassing. And petty, very petty. What am I talking about? Wedding jealousy. We all feel it from time to time. It usually starts off as a small twinge, that you can brush off. But it continues to grown until you have to deal with it. Hive, I admit to falling prey to the green eyed monster.

When Mr. Warbs proposed, I was ecstatic. I wanted to shout it from the roof tops and tell everyone. But, I was a little hesitant to announce it at work for a couple of reasons. I didn't want to be known as the "look at me!" co-worker. You know the one They tell you every detail of their life, whether you ask or not. Also, I wanted to contain the information as I was not planning on inviting the whole office to the wedding. So when I got to work the day after the proposal, I didn't say anything. It killed me. When I got home Mr. Warbs encouraged me to just tell a few people on my team, so I could squeal with glee. But before I could tell anyone, one of my co-workers returned from her vacation in Rome with big news, she had just gotten engaged. In freaking ROME.

 
Image via Robot Reviews

She excitedly rushed over to tell me the news and all I could squeak out was "Congratulations...me too!" I was so frustrated that I hadn't shared my engagement news first, because 1) there's no competing with Rome and 2) I would now be the "me too! me too!" girl. A part of me knew I should have been excited that I had someone else to share wedding planning adventures with (this was before I found the Hive!), but I was just down right jealous. I felt like she had stolen my thunder. Ridiculous right? That my friends, is the power of the green eyed monster. Even though you know you're being crazy, you can't help falling into the spiral. The same week as our engagements, another co-worker announced she was pregnant and baby talk soon replaced wedding talk. Ha! Eventually, I sucked it up and got over it. But seven months later, I can't help but feel the jealousy flare up every time someone else gets newly engaged. What about you, Hive? Does anyone else go through fits of wedding jealousy?

No comments:

Post a Comment