Friday, November 25, 2011

Two Warblers, One Suitcase

In celebration of Gobble Gobble Day, Mr. Warbs and I drove up to Las Vegas to eat turkey and break in my sister's new house. Oh yeah, and to gamble. It's Vegas. The day before we set out, I found Mr. Warbs packing some clothes in my suitcase. His clothes in my suitcase. Now, we share a lot of things, but for some reason, I was really bothered by this. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Um, that's my suitcase.
Mr. Warbs: Yeah, I'm just packing some stuff.
Me: So, I don't get to use my suitcase?
Mr. Warbs: Yes, there's plenty of room in here for your stuff too.
Me: What?
Mr. Warbs: We can share.
Me: ...

I consider myself to be a logical person. I can see the logic behind only taking one suitcase for the both of us. Since we weren't going to stay very long, it made sense. There was enough space for both of our clothes and toiletries. I even managed to stuff a couple pairs of boots in there. But, the idea of sharing a suitcase weirded me out. Instead of my suitcase, it was now our suitcase. It made me feel like I was losing my individuality. I know that sentence was about a hundred times more dramatic than it needed to be, but that's how I felt. Having my own space in our apartment and having something that I can call mine alone, is important to me. I love Mr. Warbs more than the sun, but I need to have my own things separate from us. I'm afraid that we might become a super "us" and our individuality will be sacrificed. I've seen couples that are so co-dependent on each other that they don't function well when they're apart. I don't want that for us. I guess I've been on my own for so long, it's going to take some time to get used to sharing everything. Since the Suitcase Incident, I've had a weird feeling about it and my strong reaction to it. I kind of feel like a crazy person.

What do you think Hive? Have you ever struggled to maintain your individuality in your relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment