Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Seven Layer Make-Up

Hey there, remember me? Miss Warbler? Yeah, it's been a while. Sorry for not keeping in touch. It's not that I didn't enjoy our time together, I've just been...busy. You know, wedding planning and all. Don't take it personal. It's not you, it's me.

It's been a while Hive, but I promise I haven't been sitting on my ass this whole time. Wedding projects (and mishaps) will be shared in due time!

Over the holiday break, I had a couple of make-up trials. The first trial was...not good. There's no other way to put it. But I guess it was my fault. In an effort to try and save some money, I went to the mall and tried out a make-up artist at a department store. I figured that it might be cheaper and if the bridal party had to drive to the mall the day of the wedding, than it would be worth it to save a little cash. It's what I did for prom, so why couldn't I do that for the wedding too? Yeah, you can go ahead and file that one under harebrained ideas.

Even though I didn't have an appointment and it was the weekend before Christmas, I was helped right away. I took bridesmaid E with me to get her opinion on the make-up. The whole time I sat in the chair, the MUA wouldn't let me see my face so all I could go off of were E's facial expressions which were pretty amusing. Except that she was making them at my face. I don't usually wear a lot of make-up, but expected to probably wear a medium coverage for the wedding. However, I was a little worried when the MUA artists put on generous amounts of liquid foundation, two different powder foundations, concealer and a shimmer setting powder. How in the hell is that medium coverage? Bridesmaid E snapped a photo of the end result.

Trust me, it looked way worse in person.
Personal Photo

Hive, I hated it. Even though several sales people came over and said it looked great, I was convinced I looked crazy. It was a ton of make-up. My face has never felt so heavy. I swear I touched my nose and left a dent in my face. Seriously. The only thing I did like was the eyes and lip color, but the coverage was all I noticed at first. When I told the MUA that I did not feel comfortable she tried to assuage my concerns by saying that the amount of make-up she used is necessary for photography. After E took the photo, I noticed that I did look a little better, but I was still worried I'd look like Frankenstein walking around at my wedding. I left feeling pretty confused, but hoped that when I got home Mr. Warbs would tell me the truth.

As soon as I walked through the door, he stood up and stared at me for about a minute. Then he confirmed what I thought when I looked in the mirror. "That is way too much make-up. It looks like several layers of paint that has weathered over time." And this was from across the room. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt a little just because he has always thrown compliments my way about my appearance. But, it was what I needed to hear. Your wedding day is supposed to be the one day where it's OK to go completely glam. I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is walking around, not feeling like myself on my wedding day, just so I can appear to have porcelain skin in our photos. And I'm pretty sure Mr. Warbs doesn't want to marry someone whose face resembles a seven layer dip. No matter how delicious that may sound. So up next, makeup trial number two! 

What's your make-up plan for your wedding? Are you going full glam or staying in your comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment