Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Proposal That Wasn't

Our engagement story doesn't involve flash mobs, rose petals or candlelit dinners. But according to Mr. Warbs, it almost did. Sort of. During the weeks leading up to the proposal Mr. Warbs started dropping not so sly hints. Whenever he has a surprise for me, he'll ask a "discreet" question. When my iPod broke, Mr. Warbs called me to ask which model it was because he wanted to buy one for his dad. His dad who can barely use a cell phone, let alone a mp3 player. Riiight. So even though the actual proposal was a surprise, I saw it coming from a mile away.

The week of the proposal, Mr. Warbs suggested that we go to a Christmas boat light show in Naples the following Sunday. Lights, music and a spectacular show on the water? Sounded like the perfect scene for a proposal to me. That and the fact that he kept asking questions like "How would you want me to propose?" was a dead give away.

Image via Naples Island

Little did I know, the event had already taken place the previous Sunday. Right about now, you're probably commending Mr. Warbs on throwing me off the scent. Unfortunately for him, Mr. Warbs is not that sneaky! He got his Sundays mixed up. Unless he could find a flying Delorean to take him back in time, the Christmas boat light show proposal would not be happening.

So I was thrown completely off guard when on Tuesday December 7th (a day that will live in a different kind of infamy) Mr. Warbs proposed to me in our bathroom. Yes, you read that right, in our bathroom. We had just finished having a late dinner at home and after cleaning up I went into the bathroom to wash my face and wrap my hair up. Out of nowhere, Mr. Warbs came into the bathroom and got down on one knee. Now Hive, half of my hair was wrapped and the rest was falling all over my face. I was completely caught off guard. When he got down on his knee, I screamed and backed away. After I got over my shock, I walked back over to him and he said "I had a better plan, I promise. But I got the ring today and I just couldn't wait." He was sweet, but I almost said, "You couldn't wait until I got out of the bathroom?" Just kidding, Mr. Warbs. I said yes! Duh!

I love him for planning everything out, but I'm pretty sure if things had gone according to plan he still would have proposed as soon as he got the ring. It must feel like you're holding a bomb, it could go off at any moment. I know I wouldn't have been able to keep that secret! Here is my lovely ring, by the way.

Sorry for the poor image quality! That was a wine induced photo!
Personal Photo

So, I never imagined that our proposal story would include a bathroom, but a proposal in itself is a grand romantic gesture. Who cares where or how it happens? Besides, now I can tease Mr. Warbs about it for the rest of our lives. Ha! Was your proposal unconventional? 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this story. It doesn't matter where you get proposed to, it's the love and sentiment behind it and makes for a great story, no matter where!

    ReplyDelete