Monday, July 18, 2011

Dissecting the Bridal Party: My Man of Honor

I was going to write an in-depth post about our Save the Dates reveal, but instead I decided to postpone that even further :)  In all seriousness though, they are coming soon! Today, I want to take the time to devote a post to my very best friend and Man of Honor: Johnny 5.

Johnny 5, the super awesome robot from the 1987 film, Short Circuit
Image via Johnny-Five.com

Not to be confused with WALL-E, the robot that ripped off Short Circuit.
Image via Screen Rant

Alright, as awesome as it would be to have a robot as my MOH, that is not the case. But my MOH is even better, because unlike a robot he can consume large amounts of cheesecake and Korean BBQ! I'd take that over a robot any day.

All photos are personal unless noted otherwise

My Johnny 5! We really do love cheesecake.

I make up fake names for everyone I mention in this blog. I have to remind myself to give code names for everyone else except for Johnny 5. This is because he is actually the only person that was given his nickname previously. Johnny 5, or J5 for short, is the same nickname I've called him for more than eleven years now. I refuse to call him by his real name which he used to hate but now embraces. One day I just looked at him and decided he would be J5. It caught on and soon everyone was calling him that. Even today, my family and our closest friends still call him J5. I win.

Us back in high school

I have a few girlfriends that I also consider my best friends, but J5 probably knows me the best. Sure girls have a special bond, but there's nothing like the bond between two friends and the last slice of cheesecake. Or pie. Or...well you get the point. Anyway, as soon as Mr. Warbler proposed and I was done jumping up and down, J5 was the first person I called (sorry Mom!). He rushed over that same night to celebrate with us and it was right then that I wished I could ask him to be my MOH. At that point the idea of having a man act as my MOH didn't occur to me. One, I assumed it was a role that naturally went to a woman and two, I honestly didn't think he would be up to it. 

At my Dave & Buster's graduation party

But when it came down to deciding, Mr. Warbs asked me to think of who I possibly couldn't get married without being there. I admitted that it was J5. Mr. Warbs smiled his smirky know-it-all smile that I hate (but secretly love) and told me to just ask him. Who cares about tradition or what other people might say?

J5 and I at his "Yes" Surprise Birthday Party

Let me tell you, asking him was one of the most nerve wrecking moments in my life. I tried to play it cool so he wouldn't feel pressured to say yes. But, really I was screaming "please, please!" I actually thought the "man" in him might say no, but he just smiled and said "Let's do it." Classic J5. 

I'm so happy to have him as my MOH. I've been trying to slowly ease him into things, a question about wedding colors here, a registry outing there. I don't want to overwhelm him with all of the inane inner workings of a bride's mind all at once. He's probably more likely to put up with me than anyone else though. Not only does he provide awesome, unbiased and un-girly feedback on everything, but he's also pretty crafty. In fact, his Save the Date suggestion that I...whoops that will have to wait until next time! :)  Is anyone else having an unconventional bridal party?

7 comments:

  1. Awwww! I love Wall-E! He's so freaking adorable. I think when/if I get married I'll probably have a Best Man? Man of Honor? Not sure what they're called.. haha..

    Um also, I'm an intern for a wedding video company called Storymix Media that is having a contest for brides to be who are bloggers. The prize is a $250 visa gift card and a 3 camera package. If you're interested, please email me caitlin @ caitlinmcweeney.com so we can talk more!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cute!!! I so didn't realize before how Wall-E is a total ripoff from short circuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even get me started on the hatred I have for Wall-E. Johnny5 is WAY cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MELOCHA! I can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner! Perhaps I should stay home on Saturdays more often so I can read your blog more often. But anyway, I'm so honored you wrote an entire blog entry about me! I feel like I just won an award and the grand prize is cheesecake! I mean, we could definitely arrange for the grand prize to actually take place, but for now this entry in itself is pretty awesome. Thank you for picking me to be your MOH! From the bottom of my heart, it means the world to me. I love you with all my cheesecake-infested heart you Cubana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. alright... next time before commenting you really should think and probably try using google.
    read this and you'll see that the first idea of Wall-E wasn't ripped off Johny 5 but it was invented by the director....

    "He said he was at a stadium watching a game when he asked someone to pass their binoculars to him. He started playing with them and seeing how they could be used to express emotion."

    For more info read this:
    http://screenrant.com/enough-already-with-the-wall-e-short-circuit-comparisons-vic-1372/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However some people are too stubborn to believe it.... well there's nothing else to say.. so I submit.

      Delete